Physchological Discussion

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Going to college with social anxiety.

Viz
    Viz

Going to college with social anxiety. Empty Going to college with social anxiety.

Post  Viz Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:28 am

My social anxiety has become worse over the past 4 years. I'm going to be a freshman in college and I am FREAKING out. I almost get a panic/anxiety attack by just thinking about it.. I think I may have them in my classes and I don't know what to do If I do. I'm on prozac for depression and SAD. Does anyone have suggestions if I should go see my doctor again or seek a different type of treatment?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Going to college with social anxiety. Empty Re: Going to college with social anxiety.

Post  Admin Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:28 am

Hi,

I totally understand what you mean, I am starting a new degree this september, therefore a new fresh, new people. I have it in class during my last degree and I couldn't concentrate. I was constantly thinking what the person next to me thought of me. The fact itwas an attractive girl, it had me sweating, with a fast heart beat. It looked obvious I was uncomfortable, I was just waiting for the lecture to end. My armpits started to smell, it turned in to a nightmare. Eventually she looks at me and laughs, asking me if I'm ok. I said yes, i'm fine just feeling the heat. Of course it was winter back then. I was embarrased. I eventually became friends witj her as the weeks went on. Still felt the same when talking to her. I made a few other friends mostly male. It was hardwork and I hate the fact knowing I have to go through it all again. Sometimes I hyperventilate on the bus or train.

First of all, how does your medication effect you? Does it work?

If not go see a doctor and tell him about it. If the mean time try and forget the day you start, untill the day you actually start. Worrying will cause a sleepness night and therefore causing a more stress on you the next day. Take the medication, and think that they're going to be a freshman too, they're starting just like you. I can gaurantee you someone suffers from social anxiety, just like you. Therefore you're not alone.

Regards

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:45 am